The Polk County Health Center offers same day printing of certified copies of birth and death certificates. We are the local registrar for all births and deaths that occur in Polk County.
Certified copies of birth certificates for a person born in the state of Missouri after 1920 or for a death in the state after 1980 can be obtained from the health department.
The fees charged for Missouri certified birth and death certificates are on a per visit basis.
- A certified copy of a Missouri birth certificate costs $15.00.
- A certified copy of a Missouri death certificate costs $13.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for each additional copy at the same visit.
- Only cash or personal checks are accepted.
- Picture identification is required.
Note: Certain restrictions apply. Contact us for further details.
In order to obtain a birth or death certificate, visit our office located at 1317 W Broadway Ave in Bolivar.
Birth Certificates Prior to 1920 and Death Certificates Prior to 1980
For birth certificates prior to 1920 or death certificates prior to 1980, you must contact the Bureau of Records at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services at: Birth and Death Records
Missouri birth, death, marriage and divorce records are maintained by the Department of Health and Senior Services Bureau of Vital Records.
- Maintaining a central registry of Missouri births, deaths and fetal deaths reported from January 1, 1910 to the present (some delayed filings from births and deaths prior to 1910 are available)
- Preparing new certificates for adoptions and legitimations
- Maintaining a central registry of Missouri marriages and divorces (since July 1, 1948)
- Correcting vital records as authorized by state law
- Issuing certified copies of vital records
- Maintaining the Putative Father Registry
Note: In the State of Missouri, vital records are not open to the general public and can only be obtained by the individual, guardian or other legal party.
Fees for copies of vital records will be collected by the local agency providing the document. Fees for birth and death records are the same as those charged by the Bureau of Vital Records. The fee for marriage and divorce records are set by the agency issuing the documents, so the cost may vary.
For expedited service, contact Vital Chek at the toll-free phone number, 1-877-817-7363. Documents can be requested by phone and charged to a major credit card; however, there is an additional $9.95 charge for the use of this service. To further expedite the request, overnight services are offered. Applications can also be placed on-line at www.vitalchek.com.
For out-of-state birth or death certificates, you will need to apply to the appropriate state vital records department.
To find the appropriate department, go to the National Center for Health Statistics at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm , or contact the Polk County Health Center.